Over the weekend I made these tiny little 'waxed' white violets, following a pattern from a vintage crepe paper flower book. (they are stuffed into a vintage salt shaker) I was mighty proud of myself, and thought they looked lovely. Later that day, while walking the dog, I found some real white violets growing in our neighborhood and picked a small bouquet to bring home. To my dismay, my crepe paper bouquet suddenly looked clumsy, thick stemed and awkward next to the real thing.
So today I decided to try again. I trimmed my patterns, twisted in spots where I hadn't previously, and used thinner wires. I know I will never achieve perfection, but I do think I'm closer to the real thing now. Lesson learned - patterns are good, but real flowers are better!